Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 17, 2016

REVIEW-STYGIAN (SCARS OF WRAITHS #1) BY NASHODA ROSE

My rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

Could I force her if she refused in order to save her life? Or was I killing her by doing this"~Balen

Sigh...I don't understand what happened here. Nashoda Rose easily makes my top 5. If she writes it, I will read it, no questions asked. I may not always love each and every character but the world, the writing style, won me over in her Tear Asunder series. Stygian? Not so much...

I'm not saying it's a horrible book but it didn't even remotely deliver in the way I've come to expect from this author. First and foremost, it had Black Dagger Brotherhood written all over it. Granted, in this genre, there are many of which a hot group of guys all live under the same lavish roof, all with special powers and varying quirks and haunted pasts. Unfortunately, Stygian wasn't able to set itself apart. When I was introduced to one of their enemies (Maggots...) and discovered they smell of apples, yeah, I was damn near done. The character names were almost comical and the 'alpha mode' that was supposed to make a couple of these guys oh so hot, didn't. Assholes mostly, and I wasn't interested. The story was choppy and it felt rushed. Even the big reveal, the secret between Balen and Danni, fell flat. Again, I LOVE this author but this was a head scratcher.

It wasn't all bad. In fact, the beginning pulled me in immediately but after that, it was downhill and never fully recovered. There were bits and pieces that were pure poetry, beautiful, raw and demanded attention. Two seconds later, I wanted to start skimming. I couldn't find a balance. This installment aside, I will continue with this series, with this author and hope for the best!

2 comments: