Total Pageviews

Friday, March 25, 2016

REVIEW-THE LAST VALKYRIE BY JENNIFER SAGE

My rating: 3 out of 5 stars

"Don't make me the King of the Damned, Kara, Please."~Rune

***Please note, copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review***
 
COVER-5 stars, easily! It isn't like something similar hasn't been done before, and often, yet everything singe thing about this cover just works. Perfect.

As for the story itself, I may be in the minority here, but it was just 'ok' for me. I didn't hate it, not by any means. I just didn't love it. Not like I thought I would. Years ago, I read another work by this author and just fell in love. Ms. Sage was immediately added to my 'I WILL READ ANYTHING YOU WRITE' list. Even though The Last Valkyrie didn't wow me, my list remains unedited.

My biggest problem was that I didn't care for our heroine Kara. In fact, I really, REALLY disliked her and found her to be immature, needy and flat out annoying. I guess I'm just over this type of storyline where the heroine goes from gum smacking, "omg he's so hot" moments to "I am woman, hear me roar!", all in the blink of an eye. These aren't specifics, mind you, just explaining the vibe I got. Add to the fact that I only liked Zane (one of our two male leads) for about 2 seconds, yeah...you could say I struggled a bit. I'm a whore for the romance and I need it sprinkled throughout. I felt like the pacing there was a little choppy and possibly added to my inability to really feel anything for Zane whatsoever. There was some repetitiveness that worked my nerves a bit. V-thing, K-thing etc and had there been just one more reference to her 'gape', I may have just completely flipped my shit.

Enter Rune. YES!!! Team Rune ALL. THE. WAY. Rune, with a side of Axel and the far too few interactions between the Gods, carried this book for me. Rune was my ultimate standout. Their entire world can come crashing down around them but as long as Rune remains standing, I'm good with that! Will I read book 2? Absolutely. In fact, the tentative release date is on my birthday (Aug. 8th)!!! My hope is to find something likeable in Kara. I need to see her as worthy of her title. Zane, meh.  and lastly, but most certainly not least, even MORE Rune!

*Note-cliffhanger

No comments:

Post a Comment