Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

ARC REVIEW-CHERRY BLOSSOM (VAMPIRE CHERRY #2) BY SOTIA LAZU

My rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

"When Cherry comes back to me, it will not be because I won by default--because I was the one to stay behind. She will come because she burns for me."

***Please note, this book was gifted via the author in exchange for an honest review***

**WARNING-SPOILER-ISH IF YOU HAVEN'T YET READ BOOK 1**

So who will it be? Bachelor #1 or bachelor #2? I've made my pick and I'm firmly planted on TEAM CONSTANTINE!!! Wait, let me start from the beginning...

I loved book one of this series. Ms. Lazu is a great talent, so very needed in this genre. I'm so 'meh' when it comes to love triangles. I can take 'em or leave 'em, love 'em or hate 'em. In book 1, Cherry Stem, I leaned towards Alex but swooned over Constantine as well. It was a rare love triangle that I really enjoyed and that was mainly because while Alex held the edge, it was minimal. In the latest installment, the tables have turned...

My nails keep clicking against the keys as I ponder how to word this without giving anything away. As you may have guessed, the triangle continues...kind of. It's more a tension than anything else but hell if there isn't a ton of it! Alex lost points with me due his level of douche-baggery throughout. I know, I know, there's a 'but...' but even so, ugh. There were times I wanted to throat punch him and by association, I wasn't too thrilled with Cherry either.

I repeat, TEAM CONSTANTINE. I need her to grovel though. Like, a lot. He showcased a trait that in many ways can be the most alluring when dealing with a character like Constantine, vulnerability. I can't decide if this character 'grew' in this installment or if Ms. Lazu is simply peeling away at the big powerful vamp. What ever the case, gimme more!

Why not a higher rating? As mentioned above, of the 3 main characters, I only really enjoyed Cee.  Alex just rubbed me the wrong way and Cherry carried a sense of snooty arrogance that I didn't care for. Ex or not, I felt Constantine was taken for granted and blatantly disrespected at many turns. For some readers that may have added to the story but for me, it took away. I'm all about the 'umph overload'. Don't get me wrong, there's tension, there's 'ah-ha!' moments, everything I look for but I wanted it taken up a notch or two. If that makes sense...

At the end of the day, this is absolutely a series (and author for that matter) that I will continue to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment