Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 12, 2014

REIVEW-500 DAYS BY JESSICA MILLER

My rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Phew! What a ride. First I would like to thank Ms. Miller and the PAC R2R group (via Goodreads) for giving me the opportunity to read 500 Days. In the beginning, 500 Days seemed to be EXACTLY what I was looking for, I mean, angsty rocker and snarky heroine with a chip on her shoulder? Yes please!

Alexis, aka Alex, is the only girl in a family full of brothers whose names all begin with the letter J (while cute, this caused some confusion for me, trying to keep them all straight)and they are quite the crew. I fell in love with every single brother, immediately, and I felt it was the "brotherly love" that was the strongest connection in this entire book. They were "real" and natural without it turning into a bad after school special.

Alexis, along with best friend/cousin Decklan work at a local bar to pay their way through college. This is where resident bad boy-rocker-whore guy comes into play. Casper is apparently what all the college girls are doing these days yet he has his sights set on the firecracker behind the bar.

I'm a little torn when it comes to the push and pull that went down between Alex and Casper for the entire length of the book. On hand, I loved that she would go toe to toe with him at every turn but after awhile, it became exhausting. I love a fiesty heroine who takes no shit but Alex slowly became a walking cartoon character as the story progressed. One that was borderline abusive. I just wasn't comfortable with how aggressive she was with Casper. Granted, a dramatic slap across the face is almost a given in Contemporary Romance but hell, it was like Casper left his balls in a guitar case somewhere. The sex scenes were okay but the constant "grunts" and Casper using the word "undies"....no.

This book would have done well to have been trimmed down a bit, or a lot. With a whopping 528 pages, there were large chunks of the plot that just went on and on and on and a nod to the title came in a little too late and then ending, the DRAMATIC ending, in a way, made me want to put a fork in my eye. It felt cheesy and out of place given the "grit" of the rest of the book.

I don't want to be harsh, I really don't. There were aspects of this book that I loved. There were heartfelt scenes that just ripped my heart out and the relationships between all the characters was extremely powerful and well written. There were times I had tears running down my face and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately, the heroine lost her appeal to me and there were some plot holes that rubbed me the wrong way. So while I felt that 500 Days had more potential than it was able to deliver, it's still an impressive novel by a "new to me" author I really look forward to reading more from in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment