Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 26, 2014

ARC REVIEW-KINGDOMS OF WAR (OF WAR #6) BY LISA BETH DARLING

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

***Gifted by the author in exchange for an honest review***

"May all the Gods help you when Ares finds out what you've done, Apollo, because I won't."

~Zeus

And really, was there much Apollo DIDN'T DO? More on the Golden God in a minute...

Raven. Kingdoms of War, the finale of the Of War series by Lisa Beth Darling begins with  a recap, via Raven. He's on the island, his mind is spinning in all directions, he's putting things together, making realizations about the family around him, himself...his mother. The scene between Raven and Alena was a LONG TIME coming and provided a nice kick start to what turned out to be a heart wrenching, emotionally charged ending to this amazing saga.

While everything came to a head, all of the characters, in a sense, found themselves. Not that Ares, Alena and their two children have ever been one dimensional characters but in this finale we, the reader, get to see them grow and come full circle. Ares, our fierce God of War faces his toughest challenge in all his many years and we see the heart, and sometimes tears, that comes with the beauty and brawn. Have your tissue ready, just. sayin'. Between father and son....damn it. Little Rose shined bright. She was quite the scene stealer on more than one occasion as did the son I love to love and hate...Eros. Alena demonstrated the true essence of woman and the inner strength we posses when necessary. While I love, LOVE this family, it was Apollo, bat. shit. crazy. Apollo who stole the show!!!

Apollo has never been the poster boy for mental health but let me just say, he flipped his shit like only Apollo could.  If there was ever a character you LOVE to HATE. He has shocked me multiple times throughout this series but here, in the Kingdoms of War, I couldn't believe what I was reading. Just when I thought he couldn't possibly top his last dastardly deed...he did. My jaw was on the floor most of the time and I loved every minute of it. Oh the dark places he went...
 
***SPOILERISH BELOW***

This was very close to being a 5 star read for me. One real issue was that I did feel it went on a little longer than necessary. I loved the multiple story lines taking place all at once and how it all came together but for me, it could have been condensed a little bit. Secondly, Lenore. I didn't dislike the character per say but I wanted more for my Dark Prince and the pacing for the pairing didn't flow for me. Speaking of...while we the reader know Raven father two children with two different mothers yet (unless I missed it) the fate of only ONE of those children was revealed, even as the story came to an end.

If you haven't yet discovered this series, what are you waiting for?! It's dark, twisted, sexy and Gods everywhere you turn. What's not to love?!  Please be advised...Kingdoms of War contains scenes that may be offensive to some viewers including, but not limited to, rape and incest ..we ARE talking bout the Greek Gods after all ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment