Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 20, 2014

ARC REVIEW-AN UNTIMELY RETURN (AN UNTIMELY ROMANCE #2)

My rating: 3 out of 5 stars
 
***Please note, gifted by the author in exchange for an honest review***
 
Untimely Return picks up years later where Dannika, Heather's then six year old niece is now a young adult. I have to say, I LOATHED this character. She drew my interest immediately, at the very beginning but once she stumbled upon a certain someone in the woods, I hated her from that point on. She's childish, selfish and seems to simply get off on messing with the emotions and minds of basically every man she comes in contact with. She gave me whiplash with her back and forth and therefore none of her words of "love" rang true regardless of who she was telling them to at any given moment.

I think I would have enjoyed this book much more had I not had such a strong dislike for multiple characters. Dannika set the tone but then there's also Beth who disgusts me. She should have lost her license (she's a nurse) a long time ago. She is the epitome of dysfunction and enabled the person she was supposed to care for. And then there's Ruben. I felt sorry for him for about 2 seconds at the beginning of the book but then went right back to hating him due to some "feelings" that literally came out of nowhere. These "feelings" were for a character that should have been completely off limits, not to mention there was zero chemistry. None.

Alfred was, by far, my favorite character. I loved that he wasn't the typical male lead. He wasn't a Greek god, nor was he afraid to where his heart on his sleeve. He had me on edge for a bit though. I needed him to man up and stand up for himself. He was able to love in a place where I saw none was worthy.

I'm not usually a historical romance kind of girl but in this case, I really loved the world created here. I only wish it hadn't been tainted by characters I just couldn't get on board with no matter how hard I tried. While the story itself was a little hard to follow at times due to a lot of information being given all at once and the back and forth century hopping, overall the plot is both intriguing and clever.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment