Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 21, 2013

ARC REVIEW-MAGIC ACADEMY BY JILLIAN KEEP

My rating: 3.25 out of 5 stars

"I would see the world burn for you, Firi, and judge it worthy."

~Varuj

***Please note, the book was gifted to me by the author(s) in exchange for an honest review***

Firia is a human sorceress aspiring to be admitted into an academy to nurture her craft. Unfortunately, with the exception of her father, no one believes she is worthy of such an honor. She is, after all a mere human and a humans life span isn't long enough to learn all that is needed to be considered truly powerful, worthy. Determined to prove them all wrong, Firia, aka Firi, tests her powers that results in a bit more than expected and he, a demon, goes by the name of Varuj.

Varuj is the ultimate, love to hate/lust type of male lead. In many ways, I felt this should have been more his story than Firi's. He exploded onto the scene immediately and held my attention to the point where his absence, although brief, was hard felt and stunted the pace of the book. I almost didn't know what to do with myself as the story continued. The feel of it changed, although it was necessary given our other male lead who is the polar opposite of Varuj.  Mae'lin is sweet and unassuming, he's innocent and shy. Our heroine has a tough choice to make and the author does a great job "selling" each of them. It's a pick your flavor sort of thing but with dire consequences. With a little dose of jealousy and all hell breaks loose!

I can't say that I'm in love with the cover. That may very well be due to my obsession with Varuj. I almost NEED to see him on the cover! lol The cover also has a bit of a YA (Young Adult) feel to it, which is a bit misleading. This is New Adult Paranormal Romance Erotica (phew, that's a mouthful!) There is cursing, blazing sex scenes and some dark elements that hovers over that line.

There is also a great supporting cast that I hope we get to know more about as this series continues. I'm especially curious about her father. He's a simple man, of whom wants much more for his only child and offered an astounding sacrifice for her to live a better life than he had provided for her. They aren't high in society and there is often not much to eat in their home but he is a great father and I teared up during a very touching father/daughter moment. Firi's constant talk of "being along" and "unwanted" drove me up the wall. Someone please this girl, quality verses quantity! Also, everything and everyone (ahem) felt "right" and "natural"  which for me made Firi a bit flighty.

 I can't say I'm sold on the heroine, and some repetitive terms were a bit off putting. I did, however, enjoy the world that was created and those, both the good and the evil, that will surely make the rest of the series a bumpy ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment