Total Pageviews

Monday, October 21, 2013

ARC REVIEW VILLERE HOUSE (BLOOD OF MY BLOOD) BY LESLIE FEAR AND C.D. HUSSEY

My rating: 3 out of 5 stars

"The world is rarely what we expect. There are many things beyond...explanation."

~Armand

***Please note, book was gifted by the author(s) in exchange for an honest review***

When Ms. Hussey contacted me in regards to reading and reviewing her latest book, it was indeed a no brainer. If that name sounds familiar it is because she is the author of the La Luxure series, you can check out my 5 star review HERE.

Lets talk cover. I'm not in love with it. It isn't bad but I think it fails to do the book justice. New Orleans and all things voodoo sets the stage for this haunting read but Villere House also possesses a tale of romance both old and new that is laced in tragedy and uncertain. The romance lover in me would have much preferred a cover that represented that aspect of the book a bit more.

Our heroine, Lottie (aka Charlotte) is in town with a couple of friends from college. I use that term loosely because Amanda is a mediocre friend at best and borderline useless. Sam, well she is completely useless. Nothing more than a walking, breathing after school special-YOU WON'T FIND THESE CRABS ON SPECIAL AT JOE'S CRAB SHACK BOYS AND GIRLS...

In the land of paranormal, you gotta love the pull. That nudge that you can't quite place that leads you here, maybe there...Villere House takes that up and notch and poor Lottie is damn near driven out of her mind trying to understand what is happening to her and why. She is hearing and doing things that are out of her control, no longer just dreams. So...is there a boy? Of course there's a boy! Xavier is delish, with an equally delish slightly older brother and a Grandmere and mother that are basically bat shit crazy so obviously, I dug those two.

In some scenes, the attempt to "haunt" the reader struggled, yet at other times, I was pleasantly shocked by some of the characters knee jerk actions. As mentioned, there is romance, both new and old. That's where my attention held, especially the old romance. I wish there had been more. It was so enchanting and beautifully written, not to mention taboo for that time in history. The new romance didn't hold quite the same charm. It felt a bit choppy to me. I'm not sure how one goes from "oh my does he like me?" to a full on blow job cause ya know...life is short.

****SPOILERISH****
 
 
Cameos. YES!!! I won't say the who, when or why but I loved that some of my more familiar characters made an appearance. What was even more impressive was how they were woven into the story. We have one scene where, well....let's just say that otherwise, NO...she wouldn't have gotten discharged that easily. I'm not always a fan of books that are co-authored. In some cases you can actual feel that shift of the pen. That isn't the case with Villere House which is always a huge plus. My interest is peaked so I'll be on the lookout for the follow up, Bayou Grise' in 2014!

1 comment:

  1. Loved La Luxure.....will have to read this one too. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete