Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 27, 2013

ARC REVIEW-A BLAZE OF SUN (A SHADE OF VAMPIRE #5) BY BELLA FORREST

My rating:3.5 out of 5 stars

"For the first time, in a long time, I found myself desperate for someone to save me."

~Derek Novak

***Please note book was gifted by the author in exchange for an honest review***

A Blaze of Sun is the 5th installment of author Bella Forrest's A Shade of Vampire series. First up, the cover. Yes. I love the cover theme for this series and they only seem to get better as we go. As for the story itself, I feel a little torn with this one. I've mentioned in previous reviews that I find it hard to categorize this series. It's YA yet...not. There isn't an over abundance of sex or language but the violence level has always stayed true and believable when it comes to my idea of paranormal. These aren't dainty, gentle vamps. Throughout this entire series, this has been a plus, a HUGE plus, but in A Blaze of Sun, the balance felt a bit off for me. The use of the term heck verses hell and terms like pain in the neck verses pain in the ass didn't work for me. Not to mention, and I have to be careful not to spoil here, there is a making love reference during a scene that was ANYTHING BUT. Sure they're teens (18 and forever 18) but still.

The world itself is fascinating and I love that the reader is getting a better glimpse at the supporting cast. A side love triangle and a curious new character who sets up the next book all but stole the spotlight away from our lead couple. That would have been okay with me had I not felt like Derek and  Sophia lost their "spark". That special something about the pairing wasn't as strong this time around and the timing stunted the flow for me. This book was life altering for Derek and Sofia both as a couple and as individuals but I couldn't quite connect with them as much as the story called for and some of their biggest moments felt a little anticlimactic. With that being said, there were a couple of twists and turns that I did NOT see coming and loved every minute of it. Derek is tested greatly in A Blaze of Sun and has some things done to him that could have, should have, opened a whole new aspect of the storyline yet, it appears to have been glossed over, forgotten, with Sophia none the wiser. I could be wrong, there may be more on that later (I hope so).

While I can't say that this installment grabbed me as tightly as the previous ones throughout this series, I still anticipate what is to come, who will rise and who will fall and who my next favorite love to hate character will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment