Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 15, 2013

TRAGIC (ROOK AND RONIN #1) BY J.A. HUSS (GUEST REVIEW by A TOUCHED GIRL SERIES author ROBYN JONES)

TRAGIC: Rook and Ronin, #1
by J.A. Huss
Publisher: Science Future Press (5/15/13)
282 pages
New Adult (steamy) Romance
4 STARS

Rook Walsh has nothing going for her. She's down to her last ten bucks. She has no family, a mine field for a past, and she just lost her crappy job. What's a girl to do? Make a date with fate because as she's spending her last few dollars on a ridiculously expensive coffee, a modeling job hits her in the face (literally). Can a broken girl with barely there dreams and aspirations climb out of the hole she's been living in since birth? Can a boy with everything hold on to the one thing he wants the most?

I zipped through this book in two days and I'm not a speedy reader. From the first page, I cared about Rook. Her tragic past is both typical in life and sort of unique in romance novels. Rook stayed with her controlling and abusive boyfriend for years before leaving him, but she's not painted as the brave survivor. Rook couldn't imagine making it on her own. She had no faith in herself, no faith in anything. Many fanciful heroines run after the first really bad physical fight. They're portrayed as brave trailblazers. To me, Rook is scared and weak, but doesn't want to die so she runs. Not wanting to die isn't the same thing as wanting to live. I think that's what Tragic is really about. Finding her way from not dying to living. And I loved cheering her on every step of the way.


As far as romance goes, Rook meets “that Ronin guy” right away. Ronin is smart, funny, and controlling in ways that drives Rook nuts! He's also hot, but then so is everyone in this book because the story revolves around modeling...erotic modeling. Oh yeah. Anyone ever watch the Hugh Grant movie, Love Actually? One of the storylines has a duo that are always naked and in compromising positions because they're fake screwing for the cameras. I always wondered about them and their story, and Tragic fills in those blanks in a steamy, fun way. 

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous review, Robyn! You KNOW I loved Tragic but I didn't think about it from the angle of Rook moving from 'not dying to living'. You're right and I was totally in her corner! :) And Ronin...yeah, that's all you have to say. ;)

    I love your Love, Actually reference...always love it when you refer to something I've actually seen! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I'm a total movie girl, Brandee. I'm reading book 2 (Manic). Ronin is a-whole-nother level of cool. It's like his story didn't start until this one. Oh, and the added suspense, love it. Thanks for turning me on to this series!

      Delete