Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

REVIEW-WICKED (ELDER RACES 5.5) BY THEA HARRISON

My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

"You know you're mine, don't you?" he muttered. "You have to be. You just have to be."

~Sebastian

Okay, so let me just say this...again, enough with the .5, .6, .7 already! GAHHHH! I love, LOVE this series but this, this is grating on my last nerve. Now that I've got that off my chest, back to swooning over Sebastian!

Sebastian is gorgeous, dangerous and three shades of cranky. He is to oversee the relocation of a very precious, ancient library for Vampyre sorceress Carling Severen. It's tricky because of the bad blood between she and the NightKind King Julian (who I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to hate but yeah...not so much. (He's too dark and cocky for me NOT to love!) At this point, it's more of a means to an end for Sebastian, he needs to keep busy, keep his mind on something else. He has a secret that he's yet to share with anyone, and because he too is a cocky SOB, the fact that he always wears shades, even at night, doesn't raise any questions.

Olivia, resident witch and librarian extraordinaire leads a very simple life, it's just her and her cat Brutus. Having been chosen to accompany an elite team to preserve a rare and magical book collection, she can't believe her luck. She is thrilled to be able to visit her dear friend Grace and her odd, yet multiple AWWWEEE inducing household. The interaction between Djinn Khalil and 5 year old Chloe alone...

So again, this is a very short read and in order to make it "worth it", the attraction and connection between Sebastian and Olivia needed to be instant and it was, but at the same time, Ms. Harrison was able to make it quite the dance, albeit a short one. The chemistry was spot on and heartfelt. The steam factor went beyond attraction, it was primal and desperate and when done properly, it can be a beautiful thing. Kudos to the author on that one, I mean, romancing the word "rutted" aint easy people!!!

Sometimes, for me at least, a side character can totally take the spotlight from the intended and you would think given how short this novella is that it would be either/or. Wicked gifts the reader not only with a totally and completely rootable lead couple but also a clever and fascinating side character in the form of Phaedra, the chosen Djinn for the journey. There is a scene, on the dock...yeah, I'm gonna need those two together like YESTERDAY.

I will absolutely continue with this series, I can only hope, for the sake of my sanity, that the books, novellas and novels alike, take more than one sitting to read.





No comments:

Post a Comment