Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 1, 2013

REVIEW-THE WARLORD'S CONCUBINE BY J.E. AND M. KEEP

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

**Please note, gifted by the authors in exchange for an honest review**

"You'll serve me no matter what happens. If I come back defeated, and the witches sorcery has driven you mad, I'll grab you by the hair and drag you into the north to rut still."

~Kulav, aka God-King

Swooooon, isn't he sweet? The Warlord's Concubine was a tricky read for me. At first, it seemed to be a "pushing the envelope" type of kink fest. Then, oddly enough, the girl power kicked in and even more surprising, a love story emerged.

Mirella is the green eyed, olive skinned hand maiden to the much more fair and frail princess Anabelle (who in my opinion is basically too stupid to live). She has long since accepted her fate but at the same time, always knew she was worthy and capable of more. What is initially a frightening and tragic event turns the tables leaving Mirella and Anabelle on even grounds. The strengths and weaknesses of both women play out as the story unfolds.

Kulav, our god king, is a rough around the edges to say the least. He's harsh, powerful and lethal. Although he is her capture, Mirella can't help but to be drawn in and for the first time in her life as a servant, she finds pride and a willingness to serve this god, this purpose. Kulav has problems of his own and surprisingly, his strongest force, his most deadly of weapons are the scantily clad women that surround him. We've all read the "typical" when it comes to this place in time, the powerful god, the endless numbers of helpless women whose only purpose is to bow to his will and provide whatever he needs. That is and yet isn't the case in The Warlord's Concubine. While the women do fill their "role", they are so much more.

This book isn't for everyone. There is graphic, sometimes disturbing, sex and sex "acts" that may have you glancing over your shoulder to make sure no one is peeking at your kindle! The Warlord's Concubine is a dark fantasy romance with never a dull moment. I have read books where it was obvious where one author stopped and the other began, this book flowed nicely which is oh so important for me! The ending was a such a delightfully evil twist, I will definitely be on the look out for more from these authors!

3 comments:

  1. I was drawn to the cover of this the first time I've read it but every description I've seen of it so far has kept me from wanting to read it.

    Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ho ho, the quote drew me in. Great review. I love the peeking over your shoulder bit to make sure no one can see what you're reading. I usually just have a smirk, like "Ha ha ha, you don't know what I'm reading."

    Have a great weekend, texxie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always a fan of girl power in my erotica. I'll have to look at picking this one up, thank you for the review.

    And there is just something so wonderfully savage about the word 'rut' that I love.

    ReplyDelete