Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 20, 2013

REVIEW-HEAVENLY LOVER BY SHARON HAMILTON

My rating: 3 out of 5 stars

"Come to me Angel."

~Daniel

Heavenly Lover is the story of Daniel, an artist who has lost everything, including his way and Claire, the guardian angel sent to save him from himself. You know those times when the idea looks good on paper, that everything should just be oh so perfect, yet it isn't? Yeah, that. I had high hopes for this one and while I can't say it's a bad read, in my opinion it could have been a whole lot better. The foundation is there but there were certain things that drove me crazy.

Daniel is a gorgeous man but when I came to a description of his hair, it brought me up short. "...dark curly hair cascading over his forehead and down to his shoulders to end behind his ears." Wait. What? I had to read that a couple of times, how does it go down to his shoulders to end behind his ears? Where are his ears exactly? And even worse, my first thought went to "mullet". Is he sporting a Billy Ray? Is that what you're telling me?!?! Sigh...okay, moving on.

I loved the idea of the angels, under Father's guidance, the training etc. It was intriguing and I couldn't wait to find out more. Until I read how the angels make their way to Earth. How does one hail a taxi at the pearly gates exactly? I developed a love/hate relationship with our heroine. On one hand she was strong, yet loving and exactly what Daniel was missing in his life. Two seconds later I found myself wanting to take those dreadful yellow Crocs off of her feet and smack her over the head with them. I guess there is a fine line between a character being "innocent" and "immature".

The supporting cast brought some perks, especially Daniel's agent and friend, Josh. He brought a darker element to the story and added more intrigue and interest than both leads combined. That's not to trash Daniel, he was delish, even with that poor achy breaky heart... even his crazy ex brought a little "umph". There were many times that I felt I was rooting for the wrong characters to prevail.

The steam factor is solid for both the romance lovers and the smutters! Though again, while some scenes were so sensual and beautifully written, all it takes is the wrong turn of a phrase and it just kills it for me. Granted, in the Romance genre, the various names given to both male and female genitalia seems endless. That being said, I'm adding "peach" and "cave" to my DO NOT CALL LIST! Just...no.

If you're thinking to yourself, "WTF is wrong with her today? This review is all over the place!", yeah well, now you know how I felt while making my way through this book. I went from mumbling "Gahhh! Just kill them both already" to crying my eyes out over a letter written by Daniel to his angel. Will I continue this series? I'm about as back and forth on that as this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment