Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 14, 2013

REVIEW-TAKE ME (ONE NIGHT WITH SOLE REGRET #3) BY OLIVIA CUNNING

My rating: 3.5 stars out of 5

"You shouldn't have have done that, Amanda. I only have so much self control."

~Jacob aka Slade, lead vocalist for Sole Regret

Aaaand we're back on track! Take Me is the 3rd installment of the One Night with Sole Regret series by Olivia Cunning. I enjoyed this one much more than the previous so I'm now looking forward to the next, Owen's book (due out in May)!

Shade is the lead singer of Sole Regret. He's the cranky one, wound a little tighter than most but keeps it all hidden behind those shades of his. His eyes give him away, his thoughts, feelings and wants, therefore they must be hidden at all times. His defense mechanism and security blanket if you will.

The guys are home in Austin for one night before heading to San Antonio. Shade risks all to spend some of that brief time with the one female that truly and completely has his heart. Those scenes alone will break your heart and leave you grinning like a fool. That visit didn't go all that well but it both warmed and broke his heart all at the same time. After all is said and done, he just wants to go home, and relax with a pizza and some beer but after an awkward ride home given to him by a long time family friend, it turns into an invite for her to join him.

Amanda. I'm not sure how I feel about her. There is an 'eww' factor to this pairing as well, for me at least. That's the reason I didn't go with a full 4 stars. I know it won't be a big deal for some but eww, just...no. Anywho, that didn't keep me from really enjoying this book. It has all the sex appeal Ms. Cunning is known for, of course the sex did go on a little too long in some scenes. I mean come on! You know that fool has got to be chaffing by now, not to mention dehydrated! But...I digress.

What really pulled this book together was the vulnerability, charm and playfulness from Shade. It was a pleasant surprise and he just may be my favorite band member at this point. For me, it's not even so much 'Oh I hope he gets the girl!' It's finding happiness and peace and some self worth that he's lacking. Being branded as 'the stupid one' bothers him more than he lets show, not to mention his strained relationship with his lead guitarist Adam. We also learn the meaning behind the band name. Shade's explanation...yeah, fangirled some more. Poor baby. I loved the scenes Shade and Adam shared, awkward bro-hug and all! Even my kinky braniac Gabe has a scene! These are short novellas but I like that she added bro time to balance it all out. I enjoy the bro-time just as much, if not more, than the romantic aspect of the story. There is a brotherhood between them that I can't seem to get enough of.  Oh how I wish these were full on novels!

No comments:

Post a Comment