Total Pageviews

Friday, April 26, 2013

REVIEW-I'LL BE DAMNED BY CASEY KEEN

My rating: 2 out of 5 stars

**Please note, book was gifted by the author in exchange for an honest review**

blurb via amazon.com...

A sister kidnapped.

An impending war between Heaven and Hell looming around the corner.

A Grand Witch who has no idea what she is.

The Prince of Darkness’s obsession in claiming her.

Two sinfully gorgeous men pulling her in two different directions.

As the owner of the coffee shop Deja Brew in Savannah, Georgia, Anna thought her life was ordinary. That is until her sister is kidnapped by a demon, prompting two handsome men to march into her life unexpectedly.
Valen, the sinfully gorgeous, overprotective werewolf who is Anna’s sworn guardian and Marlow, the most handsome and powerful Warlock in the entire Netherworld.

Suddenly, her world is stripped of everything she knows and replaced with frightening news about who she really is - a powerful Grand Witch. Now, it’s up to her to draw out her dormant magic, rescue her sister and stop an impending heavenly war threatening to eradicate the human race all while staying alive
.
 
***
 
As you can see, this book didn't quite do it for me. I'll Be Damned had great promise but it struggled to come together. One of the biggest issues I had was the pacing. I've read many books that have slow starts but start to pick up about a quarter of the ways in. That, I can live with but this book was simply too slow for me. Unfortunately for Anna and company, it wasn't until I hit the 70%+ mark that I became interested and even then, it took a character introduced late in the story to strike said interest. Maybe it would have flowed better and picked up faster had not every single detail been written out about every single person, action, location, etc. That alone can get disrupt a story and add the fact that it's written in first person, very very difficult to pull off in my opinion.
 
I had trouble connecting with the main character because it was if her priorities were all over the place. She discovers something shocking, something that disrupts not only her own life but all those she loves and holds dear. She is given a book that will guide her and prepare for what's to come and yet it sits, collecting dust for far too long. The romance is secondary and a little watered down but at the same time, she kisses basically every male in the book aside from family and the token gay BFF. Granted, it's not always of her own will but figuring out where her heart and wants lie is a bit confusing.
 
I gave two stars because 1. Writing isn't easy. It takes balls, patience and grit. 2. The 'idea' intrigued me and I enjoyed the character Roman a great deal. I only wish he had been introduced sooner. There is definitely an audience for this book but unfortunately, it isn't a series that I plan to continue.
 

1 comment:

  1. I think it is really rough when you can't connect with the main character. Especially with a first person point of view read. I'm sorry that this book just didn't do it for you. Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete