Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

REVIEW-THE DARKEST NIGHT (LORDS OF THE UNDERWORLD #1) BY GENA SHOWALTER

My rating: 4 out 5 stars

"You are mine woman and I am yours. Until you, my life was desolate. I existed, but I didn't truly live. Now I live, even in my death."

Maddox, aka Violence

Boys and their temper tantrums...tsk tsk. I kid you not, that's basically the gist of how this tale came to be. What happens when a great responsibility is given to a woman instead of a man who considers himself the most worthy? All hell breaks loose, literally.

Maddox was a dutiful, loyal warrior to the king of the Gods. He, along with his fellow warriors, were blindsided when Pandora was chosen, over him, to guard the most sacred of boxes. The warriors decided to teach the Gods a lesson and of course, that could only end badly. Punishment for their actions was grave, giving a new meaning to the term 'inner demons'.

Ashlyn Darrow works for the Institute of Parapsychology but that isn't the only reason she has traveled to Budapest in search of the powerful men, also known as 'angels' to many of the locals. She hears voices, all conversations that have ever been spoken in any given location. Her life has never been her own so she risks all in hopes to find silence. Ashyln doesn't fully understand the world she just entered, or her own world for that matter and soon, they both collide.

There really aren't any excuses, not justifiable ones at least, as to why I'm just now reading this series. Brave, fierce warriors? Check. Heavy dose of paranormal, heat and broken heroes? Check, check and check. I have to admit, I initially read the short prequel, The Darkest Fire and it didn't quite sell me but it was just enough to make me want to read book 1 and I'm glad I did. I was a bit overwhelmed  in some parts, such as the character introduction. Keeping names and descriptions straight along with back story...you get the point.

Even so, I love the back story here, the possibilities are endless and I can't wait to see what's in store for all of these warrior Lords. Maddox is a delicious mix of dominance, intensity, charm and that jagged ledge where he teeters back and forth from keeping his cool and bursting into a violent rampage. Sigh, I loved that. Again, I should probably see someone about that.

I decided on 4 stars because of the foundation that has been laid, the characters that have been introduced and the dance between Maddox and Ashlyn makes me anxious for the other potential couples. I loved the flow of the book, never a dull moment for me even if I found a little bit of the relationship a bit unrealistic and questionable. Ms. Showalter has drawn me in and I'm heading straight to book 2!

5 comments:

  1. "Sigh, I loved that. Again, I should probably see someone about that."


    No comment.

    HAHAHHHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. But seriously, another good review. I don't have a series picked out to read next....this may have to jump up in line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I love this series so much! This is one of my favourites in it, I hope you enjoy the rest of the series! Book 5- The Darkest Passion is my favourite so far :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi cerian, thank u! Book 5 u say? hmm...good to know! I hope to have book 2 read and reviewed this weekend. glad to hear i have more to look forward to. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete