Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 31, 2013

REVIEW-CALL OF THE VAMPIRE BY (THE VANDERLINE CASTLE SERIES #1) BY GAYLA TWIST

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

"He looked at me like I was the most precious thing on the planet, like I was a treasure that he had to keep gazing upon to convince himself that I was real."

~Aurora

**Please note, book was gifted by author in exchange for an honest review**

I'm always excited to get my hands on a brand new book, from a brand new series and author and this was no exception. I won't compare it to Twilight because the idea is fresh and intriguing, no hint of 'rip off' but at the same time, as I read I found myself thinking 'hmm, this is more what Twilight would have been had Bella had...oh, I don't know...balls? A backbone even?' I loved Twilight, I truly did. Bella on the other hand...

Moving. On. Call of the Vampire is written from the point of view of our feisty, headstrong, young heroine, Aurora. For the most part, Aurora is the typical teenage girl. She lives with her mom in a small modest house, attends high school and holds a part time job at a local coffee shop. She and best friend Blossom (the 'pretty one') have always been intrigued by the lone Vanderlind castle near the river so when they catch glimpses of a grand event taking place, curiosity gets the best of them.

Aurora and Blossom are more realistic, when it comes to teen years, than some in this genre. These girls are 17 so yes, they're sneaking out, they snag glasses of champagne and hope they look 'natural'. They even drink beer at a field party with the Varsity squad and talk about horny boys. Thinking back to when I was 17, yup sounds about right. Ms. Twist didn't pen this with kitten gloves on. She didn't glorify or soften her vampires and trust me, there are some pretty intense, violent, battle scenes that adds a great adrenaline kick. The result being a fresh, fast paced paranormal romance sprinkled with witty laugh out loud moments, that gripped my interest from beginning to end.

Not long after the girls sneak into the Vanderlind castle, trouble finds them. In this case, trouble came in the form of a slightly older, gorgeous, yet persistent man named Viktor who is all too willing to provide the girls with drink after drink after drink. Aurora being the most level headed of the two recognized the red flags and attempts to usher her barely there best friend to safety. Not one to take no for an answer, Viktor persists and when a scene starts to form, enter Jessie Vanderline.

Jesse, with his ruffled dark hair and piercing gray eyes, is immediately drawn to Aurora or the idea of Aurora that is. She bares a stunning resemblance to someone from his past, a past that still haunts him to this very day. Even though he is crushed to discover that she is not his beloved Colette, still there is something there and that 'something' is much more than he and Aurora can expect, understand or believe. The dynamic between Aurora and Jessie isn't typical either. She's drawn to him, absolutely, but also thinks with her head. There was no 'insta-swoon' from the first glimpse of fang and even mocks him when she feels he's acting a bit spoiled.  Her mother raised her to defend herself, always be a step ahead. Aurora is strong willed and doesn't wait idly by in hopes to be saved. She takes matter into her own hands and proves to be quite the force to be reckoned with. Their developing romance is sweet, intriguing and full of mystery and what ifs. I'm anxiously awaiting book 2 from this talented new author.

Visit my MMM Giveaway #3 post HERE for a chance to win Call of the Vampire (kindle version). Winner will be chosen tomorrow so hurry!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Texxie - Thank you for reading and taking time to review Call of the Vampire. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for giving me the opportunity. I loved it, can't wait for book 2!

    ReplyDelete