Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

REVIEW-TURN ME ON BY TEMPEST C. AVERY

My rating: 3 out of 5 stars

"I've never been jealous before. I didn't like it, and I don't want to feel it again."

~Troy Lexin

**Please note ARC was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review**

In a world where Telepaths are both sought after and feared, Troy Lexin likes to stay under the radar, which is about to become much more difficult to do. Society is fully aware there are Telepaths in their midst even if they can't name names. You can't simply look at a person and know. A Telepath themselves aren't aware of their abilities until another Telepath activates them, or 'turns them on', if you will. Troy himself was activated at the tender age of 8 years old and sculptured into a top of the line Switch (deadly assassin). Visions of his mother fleeing with his baby brother while Troy was stripped from his father, who lost his life trying to protect his son, continue to haunt Troy. These memories will never cease but maybe Troy can find closure, once he exacts revenge upon those responsible. Troy's journey takes an interesting turn when he's drawn to a stripper that is anything but. There is an instant attraction and a pair of handcuffs later, the term 'turned on' is taken to much more complex level.



Oh I so badly wanted to love this book and to be honest, I'm still scratching my head a bit as to why I didn't. All the elements are there. Troy, with his dark hair and golden eyes, and exceptional abilities. The supporting characters also have so much promise. I found myself pulling for Rayna, our female heroine and understanding her inner struggles. Resident 'bad guy' Brant Burn, I liked him more than I should have, and to me, that's a plus. I don't particularly like characters that are all bad or even all good for that matter. I would have liked to know more about his background, his childhood and so on. The love triangle was fascinating at some points but didn't quite mesh at others.

Pacing was an issue for me. Not to say the first 3/4 of the book bored me because that isn't accurate. I guess I felt I was getting the slimmed down version of events and character personality. I hit about 70% though and all hell broke loose. There was a delicious twist that I didn't see coming and the action that broke out, surrounding it, really brought this book home. I only wish it carried that jolt throughout. Like I said, the elements are there and I like the the world this author created. That being said, the execution didn't quite come together overall.



No comments:

Post a Comment