Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 27, 2012

REVIEW-LORD'S FALL (ELDER RACES #5) BY THEA HARRISON

My rating: 3 stars out of 5

"...you might just make me one the happiest men alive, if you don't kill me first."

~Dragos

Lord's Fall is the 5th installment of Thea Harrison's Elder Races series. I have so been looking forward to this book but unfortunately, it fell short for me. I have a couple of friends who understand just how deeply I go into my books and that I have something to say on the matter at basically every turn. Bless you. lol Unfortunately, I noted my boredom, quite often.

I was at 50% or so before I even remotely cared about what was playing out in this book. I found this very odd, for two reasons. I have loved Dragos and Pia for the entire length of this series. Very much a standout couple for me. Secondly, I love this author. I noted to said friend mentioned above, that it was strange because, for me, this author is 'genius' when she wants to be. I enjoy a slow burn just as much as the next person but I do expect to be sold on a book by the time I'm a quarter of the way in. I have to admit, I found myself skimming at some points.

Pia, for starters, has always been rough around the edges, snarky and independent. I love that about the character, or so I did. There was something about her in Lord's Fall that did not set well with me. She came off as whiney, bitchy and almost 'entitled' at times that was a huge turn off. Then we have Eva, the alpha female who heads up the group assigned to protect Pia while on her trip. Eva has lots of potential and while I enjoyed her snark towards Pia, I was turned off by the authors intent on reminding me at every turn that Eva is African American. That is how I perceived it atleast. She is gorgeous and natural but the excessive use of poor grammer (slang) was overkill for me. She's 'ethnic', I get it, but did she really have to come across as uneducated as well? I found that whole aspect of her character unfortunate.

While I understand that description is crucial, there is such a thing as too much. The scenery, wether it be in or outdoors, at times it just went on and on.  The grass is green and the wind is cold. Can we please move along? Hmm, I sound a bit bitter and maybe I am. Before reading Lord's Fall, I read the 'novellas', the 4.5, 4.6...yeah, that. There wasn't enough content to make time for review. One of the novellas was for Duncan. The fact that all he got was a rushed, pamphlet sized HEA pissed me off...to put it mildly. He deserved his own full. length. book. Before I really start rambling, I'll move on.

The good...Dragos. He was my saving grace. He can do no wrong in my book. He was the standout in his scenes with Pia. I didn't even remotely care what was going down with the Elves until he arrived. His odd little relationship with his sentinals always makes me smile. Rune and Gray...just...aww. <3 Then there's 'peanut'. We, the reader, find out what his name will be and I love, LOVE the chosen name. Eventually, Lord's Fall generated some intense action that involved most of the characters we have grown to love in this series, as well as new characters that I hope to hear more from as this series continues.

Overall, once it got good, it was quite good. For me, unfortunately, it simply took too long to get there.











No comments:

Post a Comment