Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

REVIEW-I AM THE MAN BY ADRIAN SAHR

My rating: 3 out of 5 stars



"When I lie to you, I love you the most. Truth is for the ones I despise."


~Adrian Sahr



**Please note, gifted from author for review**

~*WARNING*~
 Graphic language below



I haven't a clue how to even begin to review this book. Nor can I count how many times I asked myself, 'What the fuck am I reading?' or 'Just how much vodka have I had?' I Am the Man is much different than my usual brand of literary escape. There is no story, no plot, no character development whatsoever. We learn immediately that he is divorced but from that point on, it's one sexual encounter after another. The reader isn't introduced to the male lead and since this is loosely based on Mr. Sahr's own personal experiences, I'll name him my lead.


Adrian Sahr is a crude, arrogant, violent, self absorbed, damaged man. This book is all over the place. It's sex, sex, blasphemy, then back to more sex. His outlook on women, religion, love and life in general is as fucked up as I've ever seen, read or heard of. There were times that I wasn't sure even the author himself knew wtf he was talking about. An acid trip gone bad perhaps? I couldn't even wrap my brain around half of his rants and let me just say, I will never look at a Pepsi bottle the same way again. EVER. Now that I've gotten all of that off my chest, to you, Mr. Sahr...



Wait. Hold on, let me explain. Everything I said above still remains true. That being said, there is an underline genius to his ramblings. While thoroughly shocked and disgusted by his rants, I also often found myself thinking 'hmm, he does have a point...' This book is NOT for everyone. His approach is extremely cynical and crass, most would find this book extremely offensive. I noticed that Mr. Sahr names Chuck Palahniuk, the mastermind behind Fight Club, as a favorite author. The influence is evident and is splashed throughout.


This is a controversial read at best. The writing is often frantic and chaotic, more polishing is needed in my opinion. That being said, I am curious to see what is next for this author. Again, read at your own risk. Just the ending alone...what. the. fuck.

This book kept me fascinated, even if it was a morbid fascination, a trainwreck I couldn't turn away from. 



No comments:

Post a Comment