Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

REVIEW-FIFTY SHADES OF GREY BY EL JAMES

My rating: 2.5 stars out of 5

   "It's taking all my self control not to fuck you on the hood of this car right now, just to show you that you are mine, and if I want to buy you a fucking car, I'll buy you a fucking car."

~Christian Grey


                               

 ***MILD SPOILERS***


  Hmm, ok...Christian Grey, my one and only saving grace in this book. I was really expecting to enjoy this book much more than I did. I simply had to know what all the fuss was about and to be honest, I'm still wondering. Anyone who knows me or reads this blog knows I am no prude. I love my smut just as much as the next girl. That being said, I couldnt see this book as anything but and unfortunately, even that fell flat for me more times than not.  I've enjoyed many books that aren't much more than fluffy smut. I take them for what they are and enjoy. Unfortunately, I had a hard time doing that with this book because the issues I have completely overshadowed everything else. 


I had such a hard time getting past the writing style.  The tenses threw me at times,as did the lack of word building and development. The scenes were choppy, not much flow at all.  I can handle a bit of repetition but this was overkill for me. The Oh my, glancing at her knotted fingers and "inner goddess" references were exhausting. I understand that our heroine Ana is "sheltered" and lacks experience but this was just...wow. I tried desperately to find something in her that I liked or could even relate to and simply could not. She was nothing short of unbearably annoying and I couldnt bring myself to get in her corner, to hope tha she "gets the guy". Instead, it was more, "What the fuck does he see in her?"   

Nothing shocked me in this book, I found the BDSM elements to be "soft" and slightly out of order, if that makes sense. Her first introduction to his "lifestyle", which took place in her bedroom, for me seemed a bit extreme, only in comparison to scenes in the Play Room. He spanked her what...18 times? Yet the Play Room was some riding crop fun. Such a mild introduction to this so called intimidating room yet in her own bedroom....  

Anywho, I wont run this book into the ground and tear it apart bit for bit. Will I read the other two installments? Sure, well, probably. Am I anxious to start book 2 right this minute? No. I think the best thing about this book is the reaction it has generated in other readers. My favorite example...

                       




No comments:

Post a Comment